Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Soccer Game!

How could I forget to talk about the soccer game??! Of course everything we have done and seen here are amazing but being the sports fan that I am the soccer game has by far been my favorite thing yet. European football comes close to the being the best sport in the world. We went to a huge game. It was an inner city rivalry between AEK and Panathanaikos. It was for 2nd place in the league. The thing people in America don't really understand about these games is how crazy the fans are. Fires, fights and riots are a common thing at the games. This game certainly didn't let us down. AEK was losing 4-0 in the final minutes of the game and of course the fans weren't happy. They started tearing down the walls between the sections and crowding around each section. The police were lined up to stop whatever was about to happen but it wasn't an easy task. We ended up being tear gassed as we tried to leave the stadium. It was somewhat dangerous sure but it is a normal thing and everyone was fine. It was an experience of a lifetime to say the least and I look forward to the next time I get the opportunity!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Brent it sounds like you are having quite the amazing time! I hope that one day i will be able to go to HUG and experience all the things you get too! love you bud, and you are in my prayers!

Mike the Eyeguy said...

"It was somewhat dangerous sure but it is a normal thing and everyone was fine."

I'm insanely jealous.

Ole.

Brent Norton said...

You should be jealous...best night of my life...